Practitioner Document - ABSTRACT
This Practitioner Document is one of a series of documents produced by The Sloan Consortium based upon key insights from our workshops. Participants of these workshops discuss and share tips and techniques that work for them, plus experiences and issues based on the topic of each workshop. As a member of Sloan-C, you can benefit from this shared knowledge and learn from your colleagues who are faced with the same challenges for moving into online learning — effectively prepared.
- Develop an Understanding of accommodations for ensuring complete access and full participation in the educational process
- Become sensitive to non-visible or hidden disabilities
- Follow effective teaching practices that will benefit all students
- Develop alternative activities that achieve the same learning outcomes for all
- Leverage technological alternatives to help disabled students
KEY WORKSHOP THEMES:
- Faculty Challenges
- Faculty Tips
- Common Faculty Questions
- How Faculty Interpret their Legal Obligations
- Faculty Goals in Attending this Workshop
- How Faculty Interpret Universal Design
- Faculty Beliefs
- Online Classroom Observations
Jane Jarrow is the President of Disability Compliance in Career and Online Learning (DCCOL). Dr. Jarrow received her BS and MS degrees from Purdue University and her Ph.D. from Wichita State University. Her academic preparation was in the area of Speech/Language Pathology. She was a full-time faculty member at The Ohio State University in Speech/Language Pathology for seven years before assuming a position as the Executive Director of the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD). AHEAD is an international professional membership organization providing technical assistance, information, and support to individuals involved in issues of disability access in higher education. Dr. Jarrow is a skilled presenter and speaks.
|“I liked hearing from other online educators and it was good to compare notes and ask questions. I especially liked the discussions which gave me new ideas.”
July 2008 Workshop Participant
Member’s only resource: please log in to see the full document . Don’t have a Sloan-C membership? Please take a moment to look at our membership options.